STATUS OF OPEN SPACE IN CLINTON TWP
In 1996 voters approved a 2 cents per $100 of assessed value to the tax bill and in 1998 it increased to 5 cents per $100 for a period of 5 years. It is currently back to 2 cents.
Using the Master Plan's greenway map the Open Space Committee made a list of all parcels of land and ranked them on a 1 to 10 scale by the following features:
Mature forests; good agricultural soils; streams and wetlands; limestone; bio diversity; wildlife; historic elements; scenic corridors; steep slopes; proximity to other preserved land; development pressure Grants were obtained from the state; county; and non-profit conservation groups.
Land was purchased in 2 ways: development rights only as in farm preservation and in fee where the entire parcel was purchased.
- 126 acres Muckelman Farm located on W side of 629 and Molasses Hill Rd
- 221 acre Smith Farm located on the West and East side of Rt 629 and Payne Rd
- 129.46 acres Le Compte Farm includes 10 acres of public trail around perimeter. Located along Valley Crest and Allerton Rds. Parking area on Allerton across from Blue Cliff Rd
- 202 acre Herr Farm located off Stanton Mt Rd
- 56.97 acres Teets farm located Rt 639
- 103 acres Sutton Farm located Rt 639 and David Post Rd
- 55.1 Spencer Farm acres located on Spencer Lane off Petticoat
- 77.56 acres Romano on Spencer Lane off Petticoat
PRESERVED FOR CONSERVATION AND RECREATION:
- 95 acres Bray's Hill Preserve located on E end of Sand Hill Rd Trails developed
(click here for a Trail Map of Bray's Hill)
- 80 acres Hackett's Preserve located off Sunrise Circle turn at mailbox14
- 153 acres Prostak Farm located Rt 626 and Stanton Mt Rd
- 64.45 acres Bundt Park located on Red School House Rd. Active and passive recreation
- 26 acres Raritan River walk located rear of Wellness Center on 31 N
- 55 acres Springside Farm located off E Main
- 19.47 acres adjacent to Spruce Run Reservoir
- 292 acres Windy Acres located off Main St right past Buzbys